Sunday, March 27, 2011

Flea Market Find


This week I found a kettle at the local Oppy. I liked the print on it and thought it would be handy to use as a planter.  My herb garden has had a rough time of late with all the grubs and insects so my thinking was that it would be a hell of a lot harder for a slug to shimmy its way up the kettle. When I need some fresh coriander, the kids can grab the kettle by the handle and whiz it into me in the kitchen.

 Drilling holes into its stainless steel bottom for some drainage was slightly tricky.


Not satisfied until I've completely rearranged the garden table, I spent an hour or so mucking around and killing time.

There you have it. A little herb garden made from pre-loved finds and bits and pieces around the yard.

Sophie has lots of treasures over here if you'd like to play along.

10 comments:

Cathie said...

love your herb arrangement.
gorgeous kettle. i planted a succulent in a stainless steel kettle..lazy me didn't drill holes in it though.
i must do that because my succulent is looking ever so yellow.

happy weekend ♥

Small Things Simple Pleasures said...

I'm forever drilling holes in things to turn into pots for plants but have never thought of a kettle! Tricky to say the least so (very) good on you.

Agree about the print - I love it.

Sarah. Splish Splash Designs said...

What a gorgeous little kettle and a great idea!

Michelle said...

That kettle is gorgeous! What a super idea to use it for your Herb garden! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

what a fab idea, it looks great x

Heidi said...

so adorable , I can't wait to plant!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Excellent kettle and I'm jealous that you can grow coriander outside! I kill it in my kitchen frequently.

I just saw your post on the duck race, we had one in South Wales where I grew up, except ours were just lobbed in the local river to get bashed on the rocks...aah, happy days...

Am your latest follower. My finds are all accessories this week.

nadine paduart said...

clever!

Sarah said...

Lovely idea and looks so cute. I love the idea of planting herbs in all sorts of unusual and preloved containers, so eclectic and charming! x

Anonymous said...

LOVE this ! Very clever.....would make a great gift too.
Hope you are having a great week, Dee x